28.12.14

Top Ten: Closet Essentials That Are Worth Spending Extra Money On

I am the first to admit that I am a cheapskate. Now, I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. I have learnt that some things are worth investing in, such as certain designer items. However, I think it is important to really think about whether or not this item will increase or decrease its value in the following year. When I spend money on things that are expensive I try to keep three things in mind:
  1. Will this go out of style next season? Next year?
  2. Can I wear this with at least three different outfits?
  3. Is it truly a necessity?
If the answer is yes to all three of these questions, then it will probably be a safe investment, therefore, dishing out the extra cash is probably a good thing. So what kind of things are worth spending money on? 

Here is my top ten items I think every girl needs to spend money on for her closet:



  1. Designer bag.
    I myself would pick a medium size black bag, which would be good for all seasons and go with most outfits. Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, Prada... these types of brands never go out of style, and their value increases with time. Have you seen some of the prices of vintage Chanel? I try to stay away from mall brands such as Coach, Michael Kors, Marc by Marc Jacobs, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but why spend $300-$700 on a bag that you know everyone and their grandmother has. I have seen girls with multiple of these bags, and for the price of four of those you could have Chanel, something a little more classy and timeless.
  2. LBD.
    It is great to have a few of these in your closet, but personally I think it is perfect to have one of these in your closet with a little bit of a larger price tag, that is perfect for your body. The little black dress is always a flattering go-to, and sometimes investing in better fabrics will really pay off.
  3. Great fitting jeans.
    Find out what looks best on your body, and buy. I personally love how J-Brand feels and fits, however I don't actually own more than one pair. I think it is worth getting at least one pair of jeans that make you feel sexy and cool, then spend the rest on the sales rack at Gap.
  4. Sexy, powerful shoes.
    Once again, I think owning at least one pair of heels with an above average price tag is a necessity in your closet. These are not for everyday wear, but great for when you have a special occasion where you might want to dress to impress, or make a statement. Personally, I love classic black Christian Louboutin's. The red sole makes a powerful statement every step you take. Mine make me feel like a bad-ass bitch who doesn't let anyone walk all over her. Other than that, I am fine buying at Aldo, Spring, or Forever 21.
  5. Your favourite hat.
    I have lots of cute hats from Forever 21 and H & M, however I find that after one season of wear, the brim warps, the tops lose their shape, and occasionally the colour fades with sun wear. However, this past year I spent a little extra money on a great Brixton burgundy hat. Normally, I would go with a more neutral colour like black, tan, or brown, but this burgundy hat is beautiful. The brim is sturdy, and the fit was fabulous. If you're a hat person, i recommend spending a little extra on at least one hat for better quality.
  6. Suit up.
    This is not just for men. Owning a blazer and a matching skirt that is fitted perfectly for your body is probably one of the most important things you can own. This way when you snag that important job interview, you can show up ready to kick ass. It shows that you are not sloppy, or irresponsible. If you can take the time to get a suit tailored, or know how to dress for your body, employers will often take that as a sign that you are a competent person. Plus, that blazer will look great with a pair of jeans for a more relaxed, easy outfit.
  7. Lingerie.
    Also not just for men anymore, owning some great lingerie can do more than rev up your sex life. It is actually one of the best confidence boosters for any day, anytime. Knowing that I have something expensive and beautiful hidden away from everyone to see can really change my outlook on the day. Sometimes the cotton panties and comfortable bra are needed, but secret sexy lingerie is a great way to create a powerful day.
  8. "Meeting the mom dress".
    Also known as the Sunday brunch dress, this should be something floral, something pastel, something Taylor Swift would wear. I call it the "meeting the mom dress" because while being your fabulous self, you also need to make a good impression. Looking sweet as candy is generally a favourite of his moms. Owning at least one dress that is designer, cute, fun, and flirty, can show her that you are a girl with taste and class.
  9. Athletic Wear.
    I am grouping this all into one. When you look good, you feel good. I don't necessarily recommend Lululemon as a goto, I actually find the quality of their clothing remarkably awful, and their styles less than chic. However, getting a great pair of shoes, owning a sports bra that gets the job done, and some pants that show off your beautiful derriere can potentially increase your chance of actually putting them to use. With that being said, please do not wear them outside of the gym, and remember that buying designer shoes for the name is a smart choice. Go to an actual show clinic, yes they exist, I recommend the Running Room, have them properly fit you for shoes. The wellbeing of your feet and ankles are incredibly important.
  10. Makeup.
    While this may not be in your closet, I have started switching some of my drugstore products for more expensive, but better quality ones. B&B cream is a good one. Lipstick, eyeliner, eyeshadow, all that stuff I don't mind buying at any store, as long as I have a great primer on my face, most makeup should stay on all day. Also, please don't buy products tested on animals :)
There are lot more essentials all girls should have in their closets, like the little white t, a great button up blouse, dress pants, etc. I could go on, but should save that for another post. Those things I would always rather get a deal on than dish out money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for all your lovely words.